Labor Day weekend is a time to celebrate the end of summer with family and friends. Many people take the time to grill out, enjoy the pool, and bask in the beautiful weather as the season ends. There are, however, a few things people should be aware of as crowds gather to celebrate the festivities. Here are some helpful tips on how to have a fun, but safe, holiday weekend:
- There will be a lot of traffic. Many people will be out shopping and going to Labor Day gatherings, just as you may be. Make sure you aren’t drinking and driving, and be cautious of those who are. Also, keep an eye out for motorcycles as they enjoy the beautiful weather on the open road.
- If you are going somewhere where there could be swimming (i.e. a lake or pool), be aware of those who could be put in danger. If there are children around, be sure there is supervision while they are swimming. Also, be aware of who could be impaired by alcohol around water.
- Many people like to take their boats out on the lake for the last time of the year on Labor Day weekend. Include safety equipment on the boat like a floating device, emergency, and first aid kit. Follow all the rules put in place at the lake and tell someone when you are leaving and when they should expect you to return.
- Be sure to practice safety when grilling. It is important to place the grill in an area away from a house or trees. If too close to something that could easily catch fire, it could become a dangerous situation for everyone around. Keep pets and children away from the grill so there isn’t a possibility for them to get hurt.
- Although it is the end of summer, it doesn’t always mean that the temperature will be cool. If the forecast shows hot weather, be sure to drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. This is especially important for children and elderly people celebrating the holiday.
It is easy for us to overlook safety when we are trying to have a good time. As long as you are aware of your surroundings and the people who are around you, it should be easy to have a fun and safe holiday weekend!