Every March, the National Women’s History Project employs a unifying theme and honors women around the country whose work and lives testify to that theme. For 2014, the theme is “Celebrating Women of Character, Courage, and Commitment.” In celebration of Women’s History Month, Omaha Public Library will offer a series of free programs that celebrate the impact and accomplishments of women today and throughout history.
Dr. Eileen Wirth, chair of Creighton University’s Department of Journalism, will share from her new book, From Society Page to Front Page: Nebraska Women in Journalism, at a Women’s History Month reception on Sunday, March 9 at 2 p.m. at W. Dale Clark Main Library, 215 S. 15th St., 402.444.4800. The event is cosponsored with the University of Nebraska at Omaha, and will also feature engaging speakers, great poetry, live music, and refreshments. Poets from Celebrate XVIII, a publication by and about local women, and adult winners from UNO’s Poetry Across the Generations contest will present their works. Books will be available for purchase.
Dr. Wirth will discuss her book at several other locations throughout the month:
- Friday, March, 7, 1 p.m. at Florence Branch, 2920 Bondesson St., 402.444.5299
- Saturday, March 15, 1 p.m. at Willa Cather Branch, 1905 S. 44th St., 402.444.4851
- Saturday, March 22, 1 p.m. at W. Clarke Swanson Branch, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., 402.444.4852
- Tuesday, March 25, 6:30 p.m. at Millard Branch, 13214 Westwood Ln., 402.444.4848
Many other entertaining and educational programs are being offered:
- Saturday, March 22, 11 a.m. at W. Dale Clark Main Library: Cherchez la Femme! Researching your female ancestors
- Monday, March 24, 7 p.m. at Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St.: Women’s History Through Fashion, 402.444.6284
- Saturday, March 29, 2 p.m. at South Omaha Library, 2808 Q St.: A History of Women’s Hats, 402.444.4850
Visit omahalibrary.org for a full schedule of women’s history programs and information on additional upcoming events at Omaha Public Library’s 12 metro locations.