With Spring quickly approaching, a lot of people are getting ready to do their yearly chore of Spring Cleaning. We have found a couple of tricks to help maintain your clean household through out your year while also keeping your appliances around for as long as possible. We also hope some of these tips will help reduce, or even eliminate, having to call a specialty service company or a housekeeper.
- Garbage Disposal – Did you know that even if you don’t use your garbage disposal it can still get clogged? If you don’t use it very often, make sure to run cold water down it once a week to maintain it. If you do use it on a consistent basis, make sure to avoid putting certain foods like leftovers, grease, stringy fruits and vegetables, bones, egg shells, and fruit rinds. It’s a common myth that egg shells and lemon rinds sharpen blades. The membrane in egg shells can actually clogged up your disposal while lemons can twist the blades causing them to get caught on each other. Also make sure that nothing non-food related gets put down there either.
- Stove/Oven – One of the hardest things to clean in the kitchen is the oven. Things can get burnt on bottom the oven causing your house to have a lingering smoke haze after you open it. To avoid smoking your family out of the house, do a self clean on the oven consistently and wiping up spills after it cools. For the stove top, consider covering the top with foil when making those super messy meals. It will make clean up a breeze! Also make sure you frequently wipe down the stove top to avoid burnt on food and possible fires if you have a gas stove.
- Dishwasher – Many times they don’t need much maintenance. However, with little usage the seals can dry up and crack causing your dishwasher to leak. Make sure to run the dishwasher frequently so the seals don’t dry out.
- Refrigerators – Refrigerators need very little maintenance as well. Most just need the coils on the back dusted and the drip pan underneath vacuumed out.
- Washers/Dryers – Doing the biggest laundry load possible is always the goal but make sure you aren’t over filling the washer. Overfilling the washer can cause the belts and motor to become damaged. Also doing small loads allows the detergent to work properly getting the clothes cleaner.
Keep these tips in mind to keep your appliances around for the long haul!