Top Picks this Weekend:
Bayliss Park Lighting Ceremony – 11/19, 6 – 8 p.m., FREE
- Join the Mayor and Santa at 6 p.m. and watch the park get lit up with holiday cheer. Then head on over to Bayliss Park Hall to tell Santa what you want for Christmas, get your face painted, some balloons, hot chocolate and cookies. Santa will be around until 8 p.m.
Gingerbread House Display Opens at the Mormon Trail Center – 11/20 (10 a.m.) – 12/31, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., FREE
- The 2015 theme is “Christmas in the Heartland.” The center will close at 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve, and will be closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Hands-on-Habitat at Fontenelle Forest – Free with Registration – 11/20, 9:30 a.m., FREE
- ParentSavvy and Fontenelle Forest are providing these special educational, hands-on classes for pre-school age children and parents. November 20: Turkey Time – Come learn all about the largest and most funny-looking bird of our forest.
- Must Register
- Written by the Rose’s playwright-in-residence, Brian Guehring, the show incorporates several different stories of the famous sleuth, and focuses on the backstory of the Baker Street Irregulars.
- Discount ticket vouchers are available at Hy-Vee stores for $14 each. Reservations are required.
Family Movie Night at Salvation Army Kroc Center – 11/20, 5:30 p.m., FREE
- 5:30 p.m. – Doors Open & Games, 6 p.m. – Movie, FREE.
- Friday, November 20 – Postman Pat
Holiday Open House at Mangelsen’s – 11/21, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Free Kids Craft Time and make a free Clay Ornament.
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Visit with Santa Claus and help fill his bag with a canned food donation for the Food Bank For The Heartland.
Star Wars Day at Candyopolis, Oak View Mall – 11/21, 1 – 4 p.m.
- Trivia and Prizes, Raffles, Star Wars Prize Packs. Come Dressed as Your Favorite Character!
Family Fun Day and Debut of Holiday Lights Spectacular at Midtown Crossing – 11/21, 3 – 7:30 p.m., FREE
- Midtown Crossing is amping up preparations for this year’s Holiday Lights Spectacular, harnessing state-of-the-art technology, meticulous planning and crackling creativity to produce a sight-and-sound experience that will run approx. 20-minutes nightly – Saturday, Nov. 21, thru Thursday, Jan. 1, 2016 – starting at 7 p.m.
- The Holiday Lights Spectacular will complement Midtown Crossing’s other holiday happenings, including Family Fun Day from 3 – 6 p.m. on Nov. 21. The kid-focused event, produced in partnership with The Salvation Army, will feature an array of fun activities, including a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus, storytime, cookie decorating, holiday carnival games, family yoga, zumba sessions and more. The 2015 Holiday Lights Spectacular will debut at 7 p.m. that evening, followed by a dazzling fireworks display.
Tellabration. A Night of Storytelling – 11/21, 7 – 9 p.m., FREE
- A night of storytelling celebrated world-wide on or about the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Presented by Omaha Public Library and Omaha Organization for the Purpose of Storytelling.
- Location: Elmwood Tower, 801 S. 52nd St., Omaha
Family Skate at Motto McLean Ice Arena – 11/22, 4 – 6:15 p.m.
- $10 for family of 4, $3 for additional person. Price includes: admission, skate rentals, and drink.